Emil Kemény 1892-93 Reproduction Antique Chessmen
This Chess Design is named on the American Chess Master Mr. Emil Kemény. Born in Budapest, Hungary, he lived for many years in New York, Philadelphia, and Chicago. During the mid-1890s, Kemeny was one of the strongest players in America. He took 2nd at Skaneateles 1891, lost a match to James Moore Hanham (4–5) at New York 1891, and won at Skaneateles 1892. He also won the 1892-93 Franklin Chess Club championship tournament, and incidentally the Championship of Philadelphia, the nation’s second strongest chess metropolis, with a score of 14–4, a full point over Walter Penn Shipley. The next Franklin and city championship, that of 1893-94, however, showed Kemény crushing his opposition with a score of 23–1, a full three points ahead of Mordecai Morgan, and four and a half points ahead of Hermann G. Voigt. In 1896, he had challenged Jackson Whipps Showalter, the U.S. Champion, to a match, which Kemeny lost, with the final score of +4 –7 =4
Between January and July 1897, he published correspondence chess games in the Philadelphia Public Ledger. In 1903 Kemeny went to Monte Carlo to report the Monte Carlo chess tournament for the North American. He published at Philadelphia for one year a weekly entitled the American Chess Weekly.
He tied for 4-5th at Philadelphia 1898, shared 1st at Philadelphia 1899-1900, took 3rd at Philadelphia 1900-1901, and took 4th at St. Louis 1904.
emény participated in several matches (New York City CC vs. Brooklyn CC, New York State vs. Pennsylvania, Chicago CC vs. Manhattan CC, Chicago CC vs. Brooklyn CC, Chicago CC vs. Franklin CC).
He returned to his native homeland in the first decade of the 20th century, where he eventually died in the city of his birth in 1925.
Material : Antiqued Box wood and Ebonized Box wood
The Box wood has been given the natural antique look without using any harmful chemical or toxic.
- King height is 3.75" and base size is 1.75".
- This chess set includes the King side stamping with embossed Crown on the one Knight and one Rook on each side.
- High quality green felt is pasted on the bases.
- The set is coming with two extra queens.
- Recommended Chess Board 2" Square Boxes.
- Total Weight : 1.5 Kg
- The Chess Board is 1.75″ square size made in maple and ebony look. The specialty of this board is this is water proof. Secondly this board had life time guarantee of wrapping, twisting and cracking.
- Total Weight of board is 3.250 Kg
- The presentation Box is made of high quality vinyl and velvet. Each and every chessmen is fitted in the proper shape of groove. The special locking system keeps all the pieces safe in the box.